Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Days

Buck Owens and Roy Clark made famous the song, "Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair, and agony on me."   Why do you suppose, despite the words, we find this song so much fun to sing!  ???

God's rich gift of grace through Christ and His finished work of salvation are the only songs Believers should sing.  Yet, yet, yet … these tunes seem as difficult to pass our lips as the word “sorry” was for Fonzie on “Happy Days.”  Eighteen of Monica Doddridge’s babies were stillborn. Yes, eighteen babies!  When Philip,  arrived, he, too appeared stillborn but suddenly cried out.  That’s when Monica made up her mind to raise Philip for the Lord. As a young boy, he sat on Monica's knees at the fireplace learning the history of the Bible and lessons from Scripture. Philip is remembered today for nearly 400 hymns including:

O happy day that fixed my choice on Thee, my Savior and my God!
Well may this glowing heart rejoice, and tell its raptures all abroad.
Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away!
He taught me how to watch and pray, and live rejoicing every day.
Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away!

Dear Lord,
Cast away from me the heaviness of gloom and despair and give me a joyful heart fixed completely on Your salvation for my lost and sinful soul.
In Jesus' Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home