Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No Foolishness

No one likes to appear foolish especially by his own display of ignorance.  Daddy Bill used to use the word “foolishness” to describe one’s silly behavior.  And, yes, on more than one occasion, he told me and Nanny to stop our “foolishness.” 

God pulls no punches – He calls it like it is!  Our own foolishness, we tend to dress up, paint, and spin every which way we can. In the end, however, our own ignorance is what it is -- foolishness.  Job learned a hard lesson when God left him speechless: Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? (38:4) "Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place? (38:12)  “Do you give the horse his might? Do you clothe his neck with a mane? (39:19)  “Is it at your command that the eagle mounts up and makes his nest on high? (39:27)  “Have you an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his? (40:9)  To these rhetorical questions, God adds, “tell me if you have understanding” (38:4), “surely you know” (38:5), “make it known to me” (40:7).  Oh, how we all need the lesson of who we are in relation to Who God is.  The liberty we take to superimpose God’s sovereign purpose with plans and ambitions of our own is nothing more than utter foolishness.  Job came to a place of understanding and humbly answered the Lord, “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth.” (40:4)  It is absolutely true God loves us tenderly and deals mercifully with us, however, let us never over-estimate His Sovereignty in this world and in our lives lest we also be shamed [like Job] to stop the foolishness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home