Thursday, July 9, 2015

Will Yourself

Beach week was grand – of course!  Even rainy days at the beach are grand!  Besides the terribly hot mid-day sun and Dennis cutting his foot on a broken shell, the week was leisurely and peacefully uneventful.  Family together-time is always sweet, and so were the do-nothing-in-particular days!

 

The phrase. “God’s will,” is used [probably] too casually – what God wills, however, is never casual!  I was recently confronted with the concept that God’s will is never the problem – my will is the problem!  Even in the sweetest of fellowship times with The Father, my will lures me away to think and act in contrast to His.  On the last day of beach week, there was a rip current warning.  The current’s strong underwater flow can quickly carry unsuspecting swimmers and floaters into deeper waters. Great caution is critical to those who seek to willfully obey God and follow Christ.  Do not expect to naturally drift toward holiness; that mindset leads to being spiritually adrift – moving aimlessly toward sinfulness (the true nature of man).  Joshua challenged God’s people, “… Choose for yourselves, this day whom you will serve …” (Joshua 24:15a).  To remain safe, beach-goers in our camp heeded the warning, willfully and deliberately choosing to avoid the danger.  The Christian’s choice to honor Christ with his life is deliberate and willful.  God proposes His will for each of us, offering His Best to us.  Chambers writes, “I cannot give up my will – I must exercise it, putting it into action. I must will to obey …”.  Joshua declared, “ … as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD …” (Joshua 24:15b).  The warning has been sounded and it is clear how to avoid becoming spiritually adrift.  The answer is not easy yet simple.  Choose today (right now) by Grace to avoid the dangers.  Declare your obedience to God.  Will yourself to be faithful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home