Thursday, January 21, 2016

Extravagant Love

What do you dream about?  Occasionally, I wander onto some travel website and begin drooling over the clear waters and white sands of the Caribbean.  Then Mr. Bill comes along and wakes me up!

 

Extravagant living truly is a dream - at least among my circle of friends.  Extravagant worship of God, however, is well within the reach of every Believer!  Unfortunately, few of us get to that place in our spirit -- one with His -- to know such unrestrained devotion.  God gave the prophet Jeremiah a somber message for His people whose hearts were so divided: “I remember the devotion of your youth …” (Jeremiah 2:2). I cannot imagine Mr. Bill saying to me, "Mama," (that's what he calls me most of the time), "I just don't love you like I used to."  Even though he's stuck with me -- those words would crush me!  Can’t you just hear God’s heart as He tells the people to whom He promised Himself and all His benefits:  I remember a time when you loved me!  It's not unusual that I get a random email or texts from Mr. Bill that simply says "ILUVU" – that random message reminds me of his devotion and that he’s thinking of me.  Oswald Chambers poses these probing, humbling questions: "Am I as filled to overflowing with love for Jesus Christ as I was in the beginning, when I went out of my way to prove my devotion to Him?  Does He ever find me pondering the time when I cared only for Him?  Is that where I am now, or have I chosen man’s wisdom over true love for Him?"  True followers of Jesus possess the most extravagant spirits because of their extravagant love for Him!  What we do and say and how we respond in kindness to others should be so divinely excessive there is no question where our affections are.  Such a life is not a dream -- something to wish for or hope for; it’s reality when Christ Jesus is our Love-of-Life.  Such devotion to Christ should not be a memory but a present joy and reality.  Declare your love for Christ today -- love extravagantly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home