Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Know-How

There's little excuse any more for lack of know-how; the Internet is a literal know-how haven! Scripture is the only place [I know] where we're encouraged even inspired to become a person of poverty. Such an aspiration is certainly contrary to this materialistically driven culture.  Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3). How nonsensical to become poor so you can become rich!  The word "poor" Jesus used is the picture of a common beggar in the streets of Jerusalem but Jesus wasn't referring to his lack of material things; rather, the concept of "soul-poverty."  If I look in my wallet and find no cash, my first thought is go to the bank or ... Mr. Bill's wallet.  It's really a very simple concept: knowing what I lack drives me to seek what I need.  The problem most Christians have, however, is we think we possess all we need: with enough gumption and fortitude, we can be-it-all, have-it-all, do-it-all.  We have swallowed that lie [of Satan's] hook-line-and-sinker!  Jesus said, "If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25).  I love how Jim Elliot, martyred missionary to Indians, said it: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  The know-how to owning it all -- the everlasting and eternally spiritual kingdom of God -- is actually in possessing nothing!  God loves the poor in spirit – they are His choice vessels!  And, that's the know-how to possessing it all! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home