Sunday, June 23, 2019

Be Right

Approximately 12% of the world’s population can call themselves SouthPaws or Lefties; they even have their own special: August 13 is National Left-Hander’s Day!  Scripture refers to the right hand positively almost 100 times and only about 25 times to the left, each time negatively.  Hold on, now: right-handed people aren’t superior to or loved more than left-handed people!  Some of the most intelligent, successful, artistic and famous people were-are left-handed. [Mr Bill and I have some Lefties close-and-dear to us, as I’m sure you do.] With regard to Scripture’s texts about the right and left, it’s important we understand in ancient thought, the right hand was the place of honor and favor, while the left hand was the opposite.  Ecclesiastes 10:2 says, “A wise man’s heart turns him toward the right, but a fool’s heart turns him toward the left.”  Our English word “left” comes from the Anglo-Saxon word “lyft,” which means weak or broken. Notably, it is the spiritual weak or broken who are most favored for God’s use and honor.  The psalmist wrote, “The LORD is near to the broken-hearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18). Our prideful voice claims “I can do it on my own … I don’t need any help … I know what’s best for me,” which is that way of the left King Solomon wrote about, and the way that always leads to trouble.  The wise heart, however, with Godly discipline and grace turns to the right – the way of honor and favor. The cold hard truth is, we’re all spiritual lefties; naturally bent toward foolishness. Gladly, we do not have to be! “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ Who lives in me.” (Galatians 2:20).  Yes, I’m right-handed, but I’m ever-longing to be a spiritual righty by living surrendered to Christ-in-me.  What will it be for you: right or right?

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home