Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Heart at Home

During my years in education, an infraction students were often charged with was being "out of area" ... and, yes, they usually could offer [what seemed] a legitimate reason. You don't have to look around long to identify a wandering heart - one that is restless, disquieted, struggling, floundering, desperate for a place of rest ... home. We know, of course, those who do not believe [in Jesus as Savior] have yet to know Him Who is both Sufficient and Satisfying for the soul; however, even Believers can find themselves in seasons of homesickness. That's where I found myself one day recently - missing my Mom and Dad - in deep grief. These song lyrics stopped the steady flow of tears: "if home's where my heart is, then I'm out of place." ("Homesick" by Mercy Me). Jesus said, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:21). My parents were indeed a treasure to me - they represented and offered my heart an earthly feeling of home, wherever they were. Sometimes it takes seasons of great loss to bring profound truths to light: Christ is the heart's greatest treasure. Oh, how easy it is for [even] Believers to get their treasures mixed up! I'm fairly certain I'll continue to miss my parents as long as The Lord tarries but ... "Until then my heart will go on singing - Until then with joy I'll carry on - Until the day my eyes behold that city - Until the day God calls me home" (Lyrics by Stuart Hamblen). I'm so thankful my heart is not "out of area," - that Jesus has made my ... heart at home.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home