The Way Up
Do you remember your bike-riding days? I do, and I remember them fondly. Those wheels gave me a sense of independence; I could ride through the community to visit friends and neighbors. One thing I remember is the thoughtful navigation, planning routes that involved as few uphill climbs as possible. Very early in His earthly ministry, Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3 NASB). The Puritan said it like this, "the way down is the way up." What a contrast to worldly advice! Thinking of ourselves as most significant may be the world's way but is in direct opposition of what Jesus teaches. Happy and greatly admired are those who are devoid of spiritual arrogance, those who regard themselves as insignificant - the humble ones. Those humble ones will know the kingdom that is to come - that is, when Jesus comes to rule and reign forever - but also right now in these evil and troubled times. Spiritual prosperity belongs to those who have humbled themselves under the mighty hand of God (1 Peter 5:6), who willingly bow head and heart to God. I can feel the cool breeze in my face as I coasted down those hills on my bike - nothing quite like it. So it is as we make spiritual surrender to God a way of life. Truly, the way down is ... the way up.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home