Monday, August 23, 2010

BE SICK

Have you ever wished to be sick?  Surely not, but sickness is always an otherwise convenient reason to miss dreaded events: math tests, dentist appointments, family portraits, etc.  It is, of course, also a terribly inconvenient cause for missing much-anticipated things! 

How anxious are you to spend time with God?  If your answer is “well …” or “hmmm … “ or you hesitated or even drew a “blank,” consider this: “I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if you find my beloved, that you tell him that I am sick from love [simply sick to be with him].” (Song of Solomon 5:8)  There is a nearness to the Savior that the righteous soul longs for.  He is to our souls as the sun is to the day, moon to the night, dew to the flower.  One of the greatest joys for me is to be near Mr. Bill, my boys, my parents, my sisters. When I am away from them, there is a sense of ... incompleteness.  Time with them completes me, satisfies a longing and a need.  This is just what time with God does for the hungry and thirsty soul.  The Psalmist wrote, “he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.” (107:9)  Yes, there IS a sickness to be desired.  Physical wellness we all want, but for the Child of God – “be sick” with love for Christ!

Dear Lord
Draw me near, keep me close, speak my name, hold me tight.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home