Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Quiet Practice

I remember wiggle days of little boys.  Sitting still in church was a big challenge then there were the long car rides.  At least in the car, they were strapped down … I mean, buckled up!  Yes, of course, for safety but with it came a degree of sanity for parents!

It’s so hard to be still and quiet!  I could hardly restrain myself this week as I watched post-season baseball!  Isn’t it this way in all of life!  The natural man’s tendency is to trade anger for anger, swap gossip for gossip, exchange insults for insults.   Job recognized this weakness in himself and said to God, “Look at me and be appalled, and lay your hand over your mouth.” (21:5)  We can avoid this drama when we practice being quiet.  The Psalmist wrote, “I will meditate in thy precepts.” (119:15)  What a better plan, a more excellent method of restraint!  Charles H. Spurgeon identified the problem with Christians as not “thoughtfully” meditating on God’s Word: “They love the wheat, but they do not grind it; they would have the corn, but they will not go forth into the fields to gather it; the fruit hangs upon the tree, but they will not pluck it; the water flows at their feet, but they will not stoop to drink it.”   Psalm 46:10 tells us to “cease striving and know that I am God.”  Ultimately, we could stand for a bit less wiggle and giggle in life, making room instead for silent meditation on God’s WordDedicate time today to quiet practice.

Dear Lord,
Make me still right now and cause my heart to know You are God.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home