Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unload

My family went to the beach almost every summer when I was a child.  I learned to love the ocean and not until the movie “Jaws” came out did I have a fearful thought about the ocean.  What fun to climb onto Dad's strong shoulders, then flip backwards into the crashing waves.  Mom is probably still gasping as she reads this!

God has strong … actually, perfect shoulders.  Why can’t we learn our own shoulders are too narrow, not equipped to carry the burdens and cares of life?  Not only is it God's place to bear our burdens – He welcomes and delights in it.  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)  We resist this beautiful invitation rather demanding we know better than The Father just how capable we are.  In the ocean, Dad would stoop down so I could climb up on his shoulders; we do the same thing with our cares -- we squat down [so to speak], loading ourselves down with life's cares.  In only a few short steps, we feel the crushing weight.  God continues to offer wonderful freedom from our burdens, leaving no reason to find ourselves in virtual slavery.  The Father has made His Shoulders perfect ... perfect for all that threatens our peace.  He's stooped down ... waiting for us to unload and know His peace and rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home