Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Know He Can

As a child, I heard “can’t never could do anything,” challenging me to keep a positive attitude toward anything I tried to do.  Come what may, the conversation always ended at Arnold Munk’s (aka Watty Piper) story, “The Little Engine That Could,” and its repetitive strain “I think I can – I think I can – I think I can.”  Good gracious, how annoying that became!

God isn’t author of a think-I-can faith!  Sure, it’s a cute story and makes a good point but, spiritually speaking, it’s shallow.  What about that person in your life you just can’t seem to love?  You know according to God’s command, you are to extend kindness – forgiveness – love – mercy; the truth is – you don’t even LIKE the person so how can you possibly LOVE!  One thing’s for sure – we can’t talk ourselves into it or pump ourselves up for it; that just doesn’t last very long.  The “I Think I Can” attitude worked for the little blue engine to get him over the looming mountain but what about the next mountain then the next?  Life’s full of mountains, obstacles that cast us into bouts of confusion, frustration, discouragement, helplessness.  Saying “I think I can” over and over is about as effective as counting to 10!  God is The Sustaining Hope of all we face and struggle with in this life.  Here’s what He says: “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a)  As followers of Christ, we need to just get out of God’s way, allowing Him to love through us. The greatest optimism we have as Believers is knowing WE CANNOT but HE CAN.  There’s no need to search out or wait on feel-good emotions to live according to God’s commands; just ask God to live Himself out through you.  Oh, yes our faith is much deeper than “I Think I Can” – it is I Know He Can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home