Thursday, May 5, 2011

Last Words

Some folks just have to have the “last word.”  My favorite “last word” is that walk-off homerun in the bottom of the ninth.  No rebuttal, no response, nothing.  Just toss in the ball, sack up the bats, and turn out the lights.  Party’s over!

Make no mistake – God is the Authority on final words now and forever more!  I don’t know why we feel we must have the last say about things, but the psalmist confirms Almighty God’s authority:  “O LORD, you have searched me and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.  You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.  Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.  You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.” (Psalm 139:1-6)  God is and has absolute and perfect knowledge – he know all our thoughts and actions, everything about us is known and open to Him.  He takes notice of our every step – the right ones and the wrong ones.  He knows the hidden motives that cause us to live as we doYou know those words that casually slip through our lips?  Well, He knows them before they are even formed on our tongues.  How does He do that?  Because He is God: omniscient (knows everything) and omnipresent (is everywhere).  So, if we MUST have the last word, here they are: “Search me, O God, and know my heart!  Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!” (V.23-24)  Go ahead, have the last words …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home