Friday, August 26, 2011

Desperate

Desperate situations – they happen!  Mr. Bill seems to handle them with great calm, which I find intriguing.  Good gracious, that’s they’re called desperate!  I can hear him now, “the main thing is to stay calm.”  That only makes me try to DESPERATELY stay calm!

When asked, what’s the big idea of the Christian life, R. C. Sproul replied, “The big idea of the Christian life is coram Deo.”  This Latin phrase, “coram Deo,” refers to something taking place in the presence of, or before the face of God.  When I really ponder this – that everything I think-say-do is under scrutiny of Holy God – I become … well, desperate!  Desperate may just be what brings about genuine humility.  In regard to our sinfulness, James 4:7-10 says -- submit to God … resist the devil … draw near to God … cleanse your hands … purify your hearts … be wretched and mourn and weep … mourn rather than laugh … be gloomy rather than joyful … humble yourselves before the Lord.  Can’t you hear New Testament lepers calling out, “unclean, unclean, unclean.”  My pastor said recently we are living in desperate times but God’s people are not desperate!  Oh, that we would see our sinfulness for what it is, causing us to more fully appreciate the sacrifice Christ made for us.  I’m sure Mr. Bill knows by now he must be calm for both of us, but [spiritually] I want the reality of my own desperate condition to keep me surrendered and humble before The Lord.  In this case, desperate can be my healthiest condition!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home