Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Place of No Not's

Perfectionist - Someone preoccupied with details and excellence.  Now, that's NOT a perfect definition ... oh no, I did it again!  Some people think perfectionism is great, and I guess they would.  Think about it -- who else would you want to head up a project, direct a program, plan an event?  A perfectionist!  But to the perfectionist, the idea of perfection is usually just that -- an idea.  The urgency for perfection and the desire for inner tranquility are constantly in conflict with each other.  In relations to whatever, I typically find myself pulled from being kind and gentle to being focused on what is the not’s: NOT polite, NOT smart, NOT skinny, NOT clean, NOT organized, NOT neat.  NOT ... NOT ... NOT ...

What is lacking here – what is NOT … is "peace."  Peace with imperfection. Contentment.  Psalm 16:5-6 says, "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." There it is -- contentment with what God has assigned me [chosen specifically with me in mind].  A God-given portion.  A lot [fate] made secure by God.  Boundaries drawn by The Father who knows me best and what is best for me.  These boundaries have been drawn in pleasant places [NOT haphazardly or carelessly and NOT in places of anxiety or stress.  My inheritance is delightful -- NOT consumed with what is NOT.  A delightful place where contentment rules -- a place of No Not’s!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home