Sunday, March 2, 2014

Heaping Helping

I believe the first time I heard the phrase "heaping helping" was on the Beverly Hillbillies, and it referred to hospitality. I love heaping helpings of grits, Jell-O, and strawberry cheesecake ice cream.  I'll pass, thank you very much, on heaps of turnips, sauerkraut, or stewed tomatoes.

 

Of life’s "heaping helpings," I'd just as soon pass on the yucky parts -- misbehaving children [and adults], clothes that seem to "shrink," lingering health problems, and nasty money crunches. Benjamin Franklin said, "Who is rich? He that rejoices in his portion." God, through the Apostle Paul said, "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4)  How do I handle my portion ?  Sadly, I must confess that often circumstances mandate my attitude and spirit. Gladly, and in truth, I acknowledge any portion that’s mine is more than I deserve.  I am thus challenged, whatever it may be, to celebrate my portion and know the fullness of His joy.  Oh, the fullness of His joy ... now, I'll take a "heaping helping" of that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home