Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Approved

The “stamp” of approval usually makes us smile!  Someone with authority has found us all-in-order – we’ve passed inspection and can proceed.  This was not the case for me at the Miami airport.  While Mr. Bill was haggling with an official about his pocket knife, I was pulled aside for a full-body search!  Mr. Bill’s pointing-laughing-heckling at me as he proceeded on, did not meet with MY approval!

 

What motivates you to study Scripture?  In retrospect, Mr. Bill should have given more thought to walking into an airport with a knife in his pocket.  I mean, really, how dumb!  Paul’s message gave us the motivation for studying the Bible – “to present yourself approved to God” (2 Timothy 2:15).  Bible study is a discipline – a life-priority.  More times than we care to admit, we study "if I have time" ” or “when I feel like it" or when we can "work it in."  The words "discipline" (practice of learning) and "disciple" (one who learns) come from the same Latin word "discipulus." What if Jesus' disciples had kinda-sorta followed Him ... if they had time, when they felt like it, or as they could work it into their busy lives?  Oh me and Oh my!  The Psalmist makes clear for us what the Words of God do for all who read it: "The unfolding of Your Words gives Light; it imparts Understanding to the simple." (119:130).  To know His words is paramount to living His words, which is the prerequisite to one day hearing God say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." (Matthew 25:21).  Not sure what they were looking for in the airport body-search but they didn’t find it,  and I quickly caught up with my misbehavin' husband!   Let us never give God and His Word the day's leftovers; meet Him early and read His Words early in the day then walk in the Approved-Power of His Spirit all day long!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home