Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Jesus and Me

Soon my Dad and Mom will celebrate 60 years together!  Whew – that’s a long time as husband and wife.  Their names are as paired as salt & pepper, bread & butter, peanut butter & jelly … yes, Dan & Fay.  What a pair!

 

Of all the things I wish to hear Jesus say to me, it is not O you of little faith!  That is, however, exactly what He said to His disciples, fearful in a storm-tossed boat.  “And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but He was asleep. And they went and woke Him …” (Matthew 8:24-26a).  Personally, I would be more inclined to jump ship than wake a peacefully sleeping Savior, but fear ruled the moment!  In our lives, there is an underlying confidence in Christ or ... there is not.  When there is not, fear trumps peace every time, and Jesus' words come to

us: "O ye of little faith." (8:26b).  What a beautiful picture here of Christ as our Refuge in the midst of these days of global and national chaos, which commonly bring personal fear and unrest.  The One Who owns the storm speaks to settle it in the hearts of those who look to Him, finding perfect peace and rest. Through the years, I’ve witnessed a oneness between my parents -- genuinely devoted to one another through “thick-and-thin.”  It is a mere glimpse of being one with The Father through His Son – that is, a profound oneness.  Jesus and me -- what a pair!

 

Now, it is Jesus and me, for each tomorrow – For every heartache, and every sorrow

I know that I can depend, upon my new found Friend – And so till the end, it’s Jesus and me – Lyrics by Ira Stamphill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home