Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Rejoice, My Soul!

It was a pre-owned Nissan Stanza – officially, my very first car.  When we bought it, Mr. Bill insisted the title be in my name.  If possession is really "9/10 of the law," Mr. Bill was glad to get his vehicle back!

 

There is really only one thing each of us can claim exclusively: our sin. The Puritan clarified this in his prayer when he said he had "Nothing to move God to be gracious … or to continue His grace towards” him.  Same as my name will be signed at the bottom of this writing or an artist adds her signature to a painting, we can endorse our sin as originating nowhere else but with ourselves.  And, by the way, this is nothing to brag about!  If that's the extent of my own personal treasury, I'm broke!  For the Christian, there is more to be told: "And because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, Who became to us Wisdom from God, Righteousness and Sanctification and Redemption," (1 Corinthians 1:30).  Let's sum this up: I owned nothing but my sin – literally, my only possession; Offered this only possession to Holy God - Who owed me nothing, not even a thought; In trade, Holy God gave me His Righteousness.  What kind of exchange is that!  That is, Christian friend, is Grace.  And, furthermore, orphaned by my sin I became an heir to Christ’s riches!  Once in extreme poverty, now I know incredible wealth!  “Be happy in Him, O my heart, and in nothing but God.” Rejoice, O my soul!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home