Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Foretastes

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have Life and have It abundantly.” —John 10:10

 

An excellent cook – well, I’ve never boasted of such but there are a few “Mama-makings” my boys like: my peanut butter cookies, my broccoli casserole, my vegetable soup, my homemade hot chocolate, my fresh apple cake.  It’s quite natural – even appropriate – that Christians have some other-world longings.  There will be many who approach Christmas with a deep sense of loss this year – absence of loved ones. Be alert to overwhelming sadness and the potential for bitterness!  John Piper writes, “O, don’t let all the sweet things of this season become substitutes of the final great, all-satisfying Sweetness.  Let every loss and every delight send your heart a-homing after heaven.” (Good News of Great Joy).  Jesus, the Promised King, arrived in Bethlehem bringing Life abundant!  The sweet delights of this world are only a foretaste of the Sweet-and-Glorious Delights of the world-to-come! What Joy awaits us in heaven – Jesus our King along with some very special people!  Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine! Oh, what a foretaste of Glory divine!  “Make your Now the richer and deeper this Christmas by drinking at the fountain of Forever. It is so near.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home