Tuesday, March 8, 2016

One Thing

One thing at a time – this is often the rally-cry of my aging brain.  Women have often been praised for their ability to multi-task – and usually quite well.  True as this may be, I’ve arrived at a time in my life where I no longer care to participate in such an art!

 

Christians are to be one-thingers.  Yeah, I made up that word.  God inspired it, however, as Paul writes: “… one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.” (Philippians 3:13).  As life goes, it’s difficult to stay focused – to stay on-task!  And, what is it that Paul is straining toward, what is it that lies ahead?  “I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (V.14).  The call of God in Christ – the goal, the prize, the … one thing!  A Puritan prayer begins like this: “LORD of all being, there is one thing that deserves my greatest care, that calls forth my ardent desires, that is, that I may answer the great end for which I am made, to glorify Thee Who hast given me being … life is not worth having if it be not improved for this noble purpose.”  Does your spiritual life reflect God’s noble purpose?  It is the one thing upon which we should be be fixed.  One-thingers are fixed on Christ … He is The One Thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home