Monday, December 5, 2016

Personal Christmas

Do you like abstract?  Not everyone likes the in-general, undefined, conceptual but I do.  Some writers write in abstract, painters paint abstract art, and speakers speak abstractly.  I’ve learned, however, abstract doesn’t work well with Mr. Bill.  He needs me to be specific, detailed, and sometimes to use crayon.

 

Few of us will move through this Season without hearing why Jesus was born in Bethlehem: to save people from their sins.  That’s a good and true general answer, but let’s be more specific.  John writes, “You know that He appeared in order to take away sins, and in Him there is no sin.” (1 John 3:5). Breaking Jesus’ appearance down even further, John continues, “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.” (V.8).  There we have it – Jesus came to take away sins and destroy the works of the devil.  How does this apply to you, to me?  I can’t answer that question for you – only you can – but [for me] – yes, yes, yes it does!  In this framework, this Season with all its crazies and busyness, takes on new meaning.  In his Advent devotional, The Dawning of Indestructible Joy, John Piper makes this statement: “Don’t leave Christmas in the abstract.”  The Apostle Paul wrote in the very personal first person, “The life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20).  For the Christian, there’s absolutely nothing abstract about Christmas: if you’re born-again, the personal Savior was born in Bethlehem.  If He is personal to you, then Christmas is personal!  The next time you say or write “Merry Christmas,” remember it’s merry because it’s personal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home