Thursday, February 8, 2024

Because of Love

Whatever state of excitement I might be in, eventually I would hear Mom say, "settle down, now." That meant it was time to stop whatever I was doing, catch my breath and ... settle myself down. Re-read these familiar verses with me: Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" and Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death." When was the last time you gave careful thought to the seriousness of what we faced as sinners: eternal condemnation and death. Yet while we were yet sinners - hostile enemies of God - "God shows His love for us ... Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8, ESV). How can that be? Octavius Winslow gives us the Truth in all Its beauty: "Divine wrath is silent, because love has hushed it ... God's love has silenced every voice but its own." One of my favorite verses in all of Scripture is Zephaniah 3:17, which says God will "rest in His love." Set aside from me and "settled down" is all of God's wrath and righteous judgment, which I deserve. And why ... Because of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home