Choose Humility
Let me humbly suggest there is a very fine line between self-confidence and prideful arrogance. After several kind reminders of an upcoming appointment, which I [pretty much] ignored since I had the date and time in my calendar, I arrived one hour earlier than the actual appointment time. However absurdly certain I was of myself ... I was wrong! Proverbs 21:4 tells us a haughty person acts with arrogant pride. Have you noticed how arrogance rarely remains hidden? The attitude of being [as Yogi bragged] "smarter-than-the-average-bear" is eventually revealed in a person's behavior ... via arrogant acts. And, the opposite of arrogance is ... humility. God "leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble His way." (Psalm 25:9 ESV). The taste of "humble pie" (aka "eating crow") is never tasty nor is it a good look on those who love The Lord and seek to please Him. God opposes the proud and those who humble themselves before Him receive more grace (James 4:6). The arrogant person will never "walk humbly with God" (Micah 6:8) because they will always insist on their own way and walk in their own wisdom! Setting aside ourselves is perhaps one of the hardest things we'll do as followers of Jesus Who is the model in perfect humility. During that hour-long wait [for my actual appointment], I had plenty of time to think about my own arrogant pride and how it hinders my spiritual mindset and subsequent behavior. In Proverbs 22:4 God promises spiritual riches, honor and life to the humble! That is so much better than a menu of humble pie ... choose humility!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home