Sunday, February 25, 2024

Rest in The One

It's really funny how different we are: Mister Bill enjoys the mountain as much as I enjoy the beach. Two different places of interest - both offering a preferred degree of rest and relaxation. Missionary to China, Hudson Taylor, was overcome with grief to hear of the 1901 massacre of 77 missionaries during an uprising. Taylor found comfort in a hymn written by Jean Sophia Pigott whose own brother, William Frederick Pigott, was among those who lost their lives. Read the words of her hymn: "Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy of what Thou art - I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart - Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee - As Thy beauty fills my soul - For by Thy transforming power - Thou has made me whole." How sad that today in the hustle-bustle of life, we're forgotten how to rest and in whom we find our greatest rest. Jesus said, "Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28, ESV). Hear Him - come away from all that enthralls you, leave behind what is so troubling to you, lay down the heavy weight - come to Me, He says ... and rest. Pigott's chorus goes: "Jesus, I am resting, resting - In the joy of what Thou art - I am finding out the greatness - Of Thy loving heart." Christ ... rest in The One.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home