Friday, July 23, 2010

Stop the Wind

Contrary isn’t a word we hear used much although I heard it a’plenty growing up. Being called contrary wasn’t a good thing.  Actually, it was usually a warning!

 

Jesus’ disciples’ found themselves in a boat in troubled waters due to a “contrary wind.”  (Matthew 14:22-32)  The wind was against them!  It’s pretty common to find ourselves in our own little boats contending with contrary or opposing winds, which take many forms: difficult relationships, dishonesty, corruption, jealousy, strife, fear, etc.  As we try to stand and move forward, we can at times literally feel forces of evil pushing against us.  This describes the wind the disciples faced on the sea; their faith became small and fear invaded.  Even as Jesus approached the boat, they screamed in fear, “It’s a ghost.”  This exclamation actually made me laugh but … only briefly.  Are not my own fears and lack of faith absurd in regard to the very power and many promises of God!  “But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.’” (V.27)   Verse 32 says when Jesus got into the boat, the wind stopped. What contrary wind are you facing right now?  Do you feel you are walking into gale forces even losing ground?  Listen closely and hear the One Who only has to speak … to stop the wind!

 

Dear Lord,

I give You all my fears because You are willing and able to sustain me in every time of trouble.  Help me replace doubt with genuine faith. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home