Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Keep the Light On!

Dad and I traveled to Houston, Texas in June 1995, staying each night at one of his [at the time] favorite motel chains.  Dad certainly liked the price but REALLY liked the motel chain’s spokes person who promised to “keep the light on” for us!

The Apostle John used contrasts in his book, pointing to differences in life and death, faith and unbelief, truth and lies, and light and darkness  His distinction between light and darkness marked how light is necessary to see things as God sees them.  It’s darkness that distorts the reality of what is right and wrong.  The illumination we receive through Christ and His Word, however, strips away worldly illusions revealing spiritual reality – genuine righteousness.  John 8:12 says, “I am the light of the world.  He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”  Really, who WANTS to walk in darkness!  The other day I maneuvered my way down a flight of stairs in the darkness, which made me think of John’s image of “walking in darkness.”  Steps aren’t really my friend these days anyway then factor in darkness – well, that was a struggle.  When we choose to walk in darkness, we are unable to avoid pitfalls. In contrast, however, when we embrace the “light of life,” that life-giving light, we see clearly.  Suddenly, we are able to make wise and right decisions.  Proverbs 14:12 says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.” How absolutely crucial we stay in God’s Word and not rely on our own pathetic [at best] wisdom and judgment for what is right in God’s eyes.  Christian, reject the darkness – choose the lighted path.  Keep the Light on!

Dear Lord,
I rejoice in the Light and the illumination of Your Word.  Make It THE Light of my path and help me to hide Its words in my heart so I will not sin against You.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home