Thursday, April 7, 2011

Protest!

Have you ever been part of a protest?  I suppose the closest I came was walking out of a tenth grade geometry class when the substitute teacher accused me of something I did not do.  When I objected to the charge, he told me to take it up with the principal so I left the room to do just that.  Guess you could say I “protested.”
As Christians, how diligently do we protest conformity?  Swimming upstream isn’t natural!  That go-with-the-flow-don’t-rock-the-boat mentality suits us much better.  It should not, however, ever describe followers of Christ!  The writer of Hebrews challenges us: “Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured.” (13:13)  OUTSIDE THE CAMP!  That sounds scary and cold and lonely and sad – who would choose such!  Believers are not called to a conformed life but a transformed life: “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)  How far will you go to avoid conformity?  What are you willing to put aside for transformation: friends, books, music, movies, career, habits, church?  There is absolutely nothing in this life so sacred, so “off-limits” if it leads to conformity.  There is a call for Christ’s followers to be separated, to stand on God’s precepts, eternal Truth.  We must decide what we seek -- the glory of men or the glory of Christ?  “The crown of glory will follow the cross of separation.” (Spurgeon)  Well, I didn’t quite make it to the principal’s office: the teacher followed me into the hall and confessed he may have been mistaken and kindly asked me to return to the classroom, which I graciously did.  Now, I don’t advise acting like that foolish teenager, but do be willing to step “outside the camp” and separate ourselves from this world and its lies.  For the sake of Christ’s honor, effectively live IN this world but not be OF this world.  Live in protest for the good of Christ!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home