Tuesday, September 27, 2011

First Moments

Isn’t it nice to hear someone’s voice!  I spoke with my grandmother a few nights ago and it was simply sweet.  She will be 97 years old in just a few days, and for all of my [almost] 53 years, her voice has been a familiar one.  I’m sure she has, but I can’t really remember her raising her voice at me.  I wonder what my children think when they hear my voice -- come to think of it, I really don’t care to know!

How often does God hear your voice?  When I go too long between calling or visiting Nanny, she kindly reminds me!  Imagine, if you will, the LORD patiently waiting for us to wake every morning just so He can converse with us but then we press “snooze” one time too many, must iron a blouse, unload the dishwasher, pay a few bills,  eat a bite of breakfast, and oh no -- it’s time to go!  Still, The Father is waiting … as we run out the door!  Nancy Leigh DeMoss says, “Sometimes I get the sense that God may be saying, ‘You want to handle this day by yourself? Go ahead.’ At best, it’s an empty, fruitless day lived for myself. And at worst, I end up in some big messes!”  It seems David well knew the treasure of those first moments in the day spent with God: “In the morning You hear my voice, O Lord; in the morning I prepare [a prayer, a sacrifice] for You and watch and wait [for You to speak to my heart].” (Psalm 5:3)  Martin Luther, the great man of God, said: “I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer.”  When Believers come to know the depth of God’s love and mercy toward them, their affections are altered; He becomes our first waking thoughts and we anticipate (even crave) time in His Presence.  The picture of Yaweh Shammah (The LORD Is There) taking joy in me – loving me – singing over me (Zephaniah 3:17) makes me want to meet Him early.  His Voice should be familiar to us AND our voice familiar to Him.  Give Him your first moments of every day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home