Monday, March 12, 2012

Nanny's Hope

As recent storms spawned tornadoes, the death of my grandmother also sent emotions racing through me; some devastating and others gilded in humility for the gift of knowing her. One email of condolence said how blessed I was to have had such a wonderful "tutor." I certainly don't want to over-spend time on the subject, but I've had quite a bit of [unanticipated] time this weekend to ponder the events of the last few days and hope you’ll kindly hear my heart.

What does it mean to live life in hope?  My first thought is often the Sears Wish Book, but nothing could be further from the Truth. Octavius Winslow, 18th Century pastor and writer, wrote: "Where there is divine love to man, there is a divine hope for man." We know Divine Love exists hence Divine Hope. That Hope is a confident expectation wrapped up in Christ bonded by The Father’s eternal love. My grandmother was one of the most contented people I’ve known; she didn't waste time or energy wishing for a brighter future.  As best I knew, she accepted God as her full Portion in each season of her life, knowing whatever it held was held securely by her Great God. One of my last real conversations with Nanny, she paraphrased Psalm 37:25, "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread." Nanny lived each day trusting the promise of Psalm 34:15, "The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and His ears are open unto their cry."  She understood nothing mattered more than being righteous and holy in all her ways as “The LORD is righteous in all His ways, and holy in all His works.” (Psalm 145:17). I can’t count the number of times she said to me, “Bev, the Lord’s been good.”  You see, my grandmother didn't live some foolish Wish Book faith no, hers was genuine.  Watching her live taught me what real Hope is and how to live in; it’s one of her greatest legacies. My prayer is Nanny’s Hope long outlives her through me and my own children!  Thanks, Nanny!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home