Friday, June 1, 2012

Lost But Found

Have you ever searched and searched for something with little success? Count on finding it in the last hour, and in a most unlikely place.  Oh, the joy, however, of finding lost treasure!

After the death of his Godly and influential mother, John Newton spent most of his youth in boarding schools then in the British Navy with thoughts of murder and suicide. While at sea God delivered Him from more than just a brutal storm; he wrote, "... the Lord came from on high and delivered me out of deep waters."  Isn't it God's way in "deep waters" that He brings to mind what we have lost sight of -- His great salvation!  King David wrote in 1 Chronicles 17:16-17, "... Who am I, O Jehovah God ... that thou hast brought me thus far? ... thou hast regarded me according to the estate of a man of high degree, O Jehovah God." This passage became the reference to Newton’s now famous 1779 hymn ...

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound! That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see.