Monday, May 21, 2012

Believe

All my life, I’ve heard “the proof is in the pudding.”  It’s actually a very old proverb that dates back to the 14th Century, and is shorthand for “the proof of the pudding is in the eating.”  In other words, you can tell me all day long how good something is but until I taste it for myself … well, I just don’t know!

Does belief come easy for you?  I’m actually a pretty believing-sort but Mr. Bill is [basically] a if-it-sounds-too-good-to-be-true-it-probably-is kind of guy.  There is, of course, something to be said for being gullible (as I have been accused) but [total] skepticism doesn’t always serve us well either!  Paul writes, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.” (4:3)  Throughout Abraham’s life, God promised and Abraham believed!  He didn’t rely on pudding-proof before trusting Almighty God; Abraham believed then began to personally experience God’s Greatness.  Why do we have it backwards, wanting God to show-do-prove Himself before we’ll “taste the pudding?”   God’s Word says Abraham “staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; and being fully persuaded that, what He had promised, He was able also to perform.” (4:20-21)  I always heard to never trust a skinny cook.  Well, there’s nothing “skinny” about the promises of The Great Elohim (Almighty God, Creator).  Every promise He’s made is firm and secure.  When we believe (with an Abraham faith), we taste the sweet and blessed evidence (proof) from the Mighty Hand of He Who promised.  Just like the old proverb -- the proof is in the eating: believe and be blessed!