Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Shut-Off

The move was subtle but I noticed a common feature Mr. Bill looks for when replacing small appliances at our house; that feature is an automatic shut-off.  Yes, after a preset time period of inactivity, things shut-off.  Now, perhaps Mr. Bill became weary of following me around turning things off but let me tell you how wearisome it is having to turn them back on before I can use them.  Oh, bother!  Maybe next time, I’ll do the shopping!

Don’t you wish we had an automatic “shut-off” for sin!  I’d be the first-in-line for that deal!  Truth is, this side of heaven, sin will remain an enemy but it remains no match for the Word of God!  “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!  I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:9-11)  Are you struggling against the power of sin in your life?  The more time spent in God’s Word, the more you’ll feel the “shut-off” to sin’s influence.  I know that auto shut-off feature of things such as my iron and curling iron is an otherwise handy feature, and I’m certain the words of our Living God are more than handy – they are powerfully sufficient to produce holy living.  Make it a daily habit -- turn to The Word and “shut-off” the sin feature!