Friday, April 27, 2012

His Voice

Voices – some bring a smile to my face and joy to my heart.  A new voice I’ve come to love is Ella’s.  She’s making some of the sweetest sounds; her Mom and Dad are hearing her say mama and dada for the first time.  And, of course, I can hardly wait to hear her say “momc.”

Solomon recorded this phrase in his Book of songs, “The Voice of my Beloved.” (Song of Solomon 2:8)  The entire book is loaded with beautiful references to Christ, our “Beloved.”  The voices that tend to be loudest in our lives aren’t necessarily endearing ones.  They seem to scream at us causing anxiety and terror, or they mislead us from the Truth of God’s Word.  As I meditated on these words, “Voice of my Beloved,” I thought of Ella’s sweet voice and how just the sound of it thrills me.  Of course, most of her sounds are beyond understanding right now but who cares!  The very sounds delights me!  When Mary, expectant mother of Jesus, came near Elizabeth, the very nearness of the Savior caused John to leap within his mother’s womb (Luke 1:41).  I fear Christians have lost [or perhaps never developed] the deep and insatiable thirst for Christ.  Have you heard the Voice of the Beloved lately?  Be still and know.  Be still and hear His Voice.