Thursday, April 26, 2012

His Table

All my children (guys & gals) were here for a pre-Easter lunch a few weeks ago.  Big fun to a Mama’s heart --- all chicks & chickadees together.  What was not thrilling, however, was discovering my place-setting of six was no longer enough!  I later told Mr. Bill we need a bigger table and more dishes … and why not let’s knock out a wall, extend the dinning room, replace the floor, paint the kitchen …

What about the Beloved’s banquet table?  Song of Solomon says, “He brought me to the banqueting house, and  His banner over me was love.“  (2:4)  Imagine what a feast – the main entrée is love!  And there were not multiple banners, as is the case in many banquet halls, but one banner – a banner of love.  How often do we pass by the table He has set for us, choosing instead the allures of the day.  He says, “I am the Rose of Sharon, and the Lily of the Valleys” (V.1), and He longs for intimate fellowship with those whom He loves and redeemed for Himself.  Will we not choose to sit down “under His Shadow with great delight” and taste the sweet fruit He offers! (V.3b)  The table is set and there is no shortage of anything.  Feast at His Table today!