Friday, May 11, 2012

Blink A Lot

You know that I hate bugs, but I must confess ... I love lightning bugs. Well, they don't bite and they're not gross like most bugs.  Anyway, lightning bugs and me go way back.  My grandparents yard was the best place to catch those little summer night lights.  I remember lots of nights when it was me and my pint jar on a mission chasing then capturing lightning bugs.  Daddy Bill would use the wooden-handle ice pick to punch holes in the lid so the bugs could get air.  Later from my bed I would watch my night's harvest light up the darkness of the room.

Just like lightning bugs give the persona of a summer night, so do Believers to an otherwise dark world.  Matthew 5:14 says, "You are the light of the world ... Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14 &16)  Can you imagine what this world would be like without some presence of God here?  Not so pretty!  Hence, we've been assigned to this world to shine a little and blink a lot.  Those little bugs still bring a lot of joy to me, and we just never know just how much joy the little things we do bring to the lives of coworkers,  neighbors, friends, family members, even strangers -- just by being an instrument of God's light!  Go ahead -- shine a little and blink a lot!