Friday, September 7, 2012

Fly Right

Several months ago, I walked into church with my shirt wrong-side out. Laughing at myself, I told Mr. Bill about it and he admitted he saw it! When I spoke “candidly” to him about not telling me, his response was “I thought you did it on purpose.” Really, now …

Oh, how terribly mixed-up our world is. ! The word “cattywampus” may be new to some but most folks know cattywampus when they see it: a slightly tilted picture frame, a car parked crookedly between the lines, disheveled books on the shelf. Yes, those with an eye for cattywampus know it well! This week, I gasped to hear someone say in an interview, “the matter of God is just a distraction.” I ‘bout choked! Now, that’s cattywampus! Paul reminds us, “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is,seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” (Colossians 3:1-2). We must expect world-thinking to be askew but I greatly fear too many Christians share this mindset. Let’s be clear -- God is neither a “matter” nor a “distraction. Have we lost sight of God’s sovereignty, that He is the Supreme Ruler Who rules all the affairs of the universe including our personal and professional lives? He IS the Place of rest for believers as well as the Center of our world and worship. “For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods … Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!” (Psalm 95:3, 6) The audacity and shame of man are easily summed up in imagining we are king and lord! My Mom used to tell me “young lady, you best straighten up and fly right.” I knew what that meant -- change your attitude and misbehavin’ ways … or else! Scripture says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” (Proverbs 14:12). Christian friend, I challenge you to refuse cattywampus thinking and living; fly right according to God’s Truth. Don’t honk if you love Jesus – obey Him! Do not be deceived into thinking God is co-pilot – He is THE Pilot! Choose this day whom you will serve! Refuse cattywampus! Fly right!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home