Monday, August 12, 2013

Trust and Depend

Little children, even toddlers, can exhibit great … independence. One of the first words our sweet Ella-girl learned, however, was “hep” (aka “help”). I thought this amazing (of course, because she’s MY granddaughter) and since most children don’t want any help at all. Actually, she could teach her PopC that word!

On whom do you depend? While all of us may want to describe ourselves as “independent,” [in truth] we’re dependent. Before you disagree, consider just how independent you really want to be … as a Christian. God named Elisha to be the next prophet to Israel, and for seven or eight years Elijah discipled (mentored) Elisha in the faith. We know little of Elisha’s time with Elijah, but know he became a mighty man of God. The final conversation between Elijah and Elisha went like this: “When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, ‘Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?’ ‘Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,’ Elisha replied.” (2 Kings 2:9). A few people I recall as mentors of the faith, and oh how I miss their presence in my life. I imagine this is how Elisha felt, but it was after Elijah [for sure] that God became more real than ever! It was God’s plan and timing to take Elijah from Elisha’s life, as it is that you and I depend solely and completely on God in every way. How easily we can become dependent on other people and things, replacing God’s rightful place. Oswald Chambers writes, ”Stand true to God and He will bring out His truth in a way that will make your life an expression of worship.” This is His plan-purpose-design of each of us -- to stand in God’s Might and God’s Power and God’s Truth. It’s okay to be dependent as long as we’re depending on The One Who is ever-dependable, never-failing, and righteous in every way. Trust and depend on Him … and be proud of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home