Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What's Feeding You?

Living with one who hunts is a phenomenon! The “hunt” is never far from the surface of consciousness. With Dove Season approaching, Mr. Bill has been [shall we say] concerned that squirrels and crows are feeding on his dove food. Oh, if the little squatters just knew the danger they were in!

A Christian is wise to know his limits! The movie character Josey Wales (played by Clint Eastwood) coined several phrases, one of which often comes to my mind: “A man’s gotta know his limitations.” A good morning question for me is, “Beverly, just what are you capable of on your own today?” The right answer is “I am capable of nothing on my own,” but [unfortunately] that is not always my conclusion! No, my feet hit the floor propelled by I-can-do-life-on-my-own then the crashes set in [aka reality-checks]. Jesus spoke of one such effort when He said, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” (John 13:34). The simple-but-not-so-simple act of loving another person. We may argue loving others is a natural response but [in truth] the natural reaction is what happens. The natural man lives on the premise “if you don’t cross me, I will love you,” but Christians are not to live with the natural man at the helm. Christians are called to mortify or kill sin -- “…by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body.” (Romans 8:13b), and we are empowered to do so “… through Christ Who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13). It is not my own spirit but His that responds in a reactionary world. I won’t share Mr. Bill’s “cure” for thievin’ animals, but Christians must consider what is feeding them: the ideologies of this world, self-reliance, or the Word of the Living God and the Spirit that empowers. Yes, it’s worthwhile to consider what’s feeding you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home