Thursday, August 15, 2013

Conditions

Conditions can be the elephant in the room. They’re often in the fine print of the contract or hidden in the wall of clouds approaching. Nonetheless, there are conditions in everything. Mr. Bill met the conditions of a half-hearted smile when he told me about his new hunting-club land in an area known for rattle snakes. Yes, first-time ever, he bought snake chaps!

There are specified conditions to God’s forgiveness. The Apostle John wrote, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9). There ‘tis – laid out in the brightest crayon on the perfect color paper; just doesn’t get any clearer! Forgiveness is conditional – confession is required! A child spills the milk – we ask, what happened. A financial miscalculation is discovered, someone wants to know who did it. The wrong answers: what do you mean -- not me -- I don’t know. Confession isn’t based on IF I sinned, but rather YES I sinned; I take full responsibility for my wrongdoing (that which is contrary to God’s nature and law). It’s true – I admit it – I’m wrong – God is right! When we agree with God THEN He does as promised – forgives and cleanses. He does this through the shed blood of His Son, Jesus Christ: “For all the promises of God find their Yes in Him. That is why it is through Him that we utter our Amen to God for His glory.” (2 Corinthians 1:20). There’s no trick or gimmick to God’s forgiveness; it’s free to all who acknowledge and confess their sin. Jesus paid our sin-debt with His life then guaranteed living in hope with His resurrection. Mr. Bill didn’t actually admit I had reason to be concerned about the rattlers, but the purchase of snake chaps helped his cause greatly! The grace and forgiveness of God is free BUT conditional. I challenge you to meet the conditions of the victorious life and its sweet fellowship with God: keep a short list of sins -- confess regularly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home