Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Delight Him

There are countless things that bring joy to our lives – porch swings, babies, tea time, quiet evenings. Things I used to call “fun” scare me now – roller coasters, diving boards, four-wheelers. New seasons of life bring new and different joys, and if you don’t know what I mean by this – be patient; you’ll know soon enough!

Have you ever considered how we bring joy to the heart of God? Personal expectations from people and things often delight us; I’m ever more pleased my car cranks when I turn the key or when Mr. Bill delivers Saturday breakfast biscuits. In contrast, life isn’t always “delightful.” Remember how disciples’ stormy boat ride: “And they went and woke Him, saying, ‘Save us, Lord; we are perishing.’ And He said to them, ‘Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?’ Then He rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.” (Matthew 8:25-26). Think of all Jesus’ power and mighty works these guys had witnessed, and a little wind sends them into a stew? Really, a little wind? We do the same thing – fear can whittle away even the strongest faith. Certainly, God wants us to give Him our storms but why not the “little winds” of life – the jam-packed busy days, the stack of bills, aggressive drivers, work deadlines, the physical aches and pains. What delights Almighty God; Oswald Chambers suggests it’s a “peaceful resting in God.” It’s trusting Him with and in every circumstance, every relationship, every moment of life; living in the wisdom that “my flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my Portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26). Trust Him Who is faithful – delight Him and you will delight yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home