Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sheltered

Our oldest son has chickens, and as far as I know, the chickens’ primary purpose is to lay enough eggs for the family. As a little girl, I remember gathering eggs with my Granny. She didn’t have a cool egg-basket like Danny does – no, she just lifted the corners of her apron and gently nestled the eggs there. That’s the best use of an apron I can think of!

God is our refuge! Right now, the snow is falling and the ground is beginning to turn white. There’s hot chocolate and vegetable soup on the stove, and the house is nicely warm. All the fixin’s and just the right environment to weather a winter storm. Life is full of storms, and there’s no avoiding them. Some storms move in and out quickly while others tend to linger much longer than we like. It’s been said of life’s storms, you’re either headed into a storm or in a storm right now or coming out of a storm. We silly humans seek shelter in many things: our jobs, relationships, finances, to name a few; but they all fail, proving inefficient for long-term retreat. The psalmist wrote, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.” (91:1-2) and [one of my personal favorites] “For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Colossians 3:3). It’s tough to imagine much better shelter comforts than a warm house, hot chocolate, and vegetable soup but “hidden in Christ” – that storm comfort is beyond mortal compare!

So let the storms rage high -- The dark clouds rise -- They don't bother me 

For I'm sheltered safe in the Arms of God
He walks with me -- And naught of earth shall harm me
For I'm sheltered in the Arms of God -- Song Lyrics by Dottie Rambo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home