Thursday, September 4, 2014

Disciplined Disciple

Mr. Bill has a tool belt which I see only occasionally; I know he hides it from me because he doesn’t want me hammering on the walls! I'm intrigued, however, at how many tools there are and how few I can identify.  I guess he likes his tools easily in reach so he doesn’t have to hear my words for them -- thingies, whichamabobs, and doojiggies.

 

Did you know all Believers are to be Word-handlers?  Just like Mr. Bill has a tool for this and a tool for that, Christians should have tools to help them study "rightly handling the word of Truth." (2 Timothy 2:15).  What a serious assignment we have to approach Scripture with utter reverence, never trying to spin or twist Its Truth to suit our own way of thinking!  This manner of study keeps us so we "need not be ashamed" but rather as one "approved" by God. (2 Timothy 2:15).  Sound (reputable) Bible commentaries, dictionaries, etc. are wonderful tools to help us study Scripture, but the greatest Tool is always prayerfully asking revelation of God's Truth through His Holy Spirit.  This high calling and awesome task of studying the Bible equips Christians to live before and share with others the Good News of Christ.  I suspect Mr. Bill's tool belt is well-equipped for most small projects, but the tools are useless if he never picks them up.  Don't let your Bible grow cold and dusty from lack of interest and use.  Make a conscious decision to pick it up -- open it -- read it -- hear it -- live it in the power of Christ.  It's the only way we'll one day stand before God approved and not ashamed!   God’s Word – make its study a discipline, then experience the joy of being a true disciple of Its Author!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home