Thursday, January 29, 2015

Put On Your Happy!

What brings on the happy-dance for you?  For some, it’s the beach – yeah, that’ll do it for me too!  My boss enjoys extended weekend beach trips with a friend who owns a condo and when she shuts her office door, she's doing the happy dance … at least in her head!  Oh, yes, she is!

 

Christians should be the world's most frequent happy-dancers!  Jokingly, my pastor said recently, “If you’re Baptist, you can only dance with one leg.” My parents were raised in the no-dance generation so I [too] grew up with a no-dance policy.  Interestingly, however, in God’s Word we see dancing as part of many celebrations!  In II Samuel 6:14 when the ark was returned to Jerusalem, we read King David danced "with all his might" before the LORD.  I wasn't there, but I imagine it was one more historical happy-dance! David wrote psalms of deep sorrow and genuine grief but also some oozing joy and delight.  Referring to his God, he wrote: “You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.” (Psalm 4:7-8). Those of us who sometimes struggle to get a really good night's sleep, lying down and sleeping is a blessed treasure!  The Joy of the LORD is strength to God's people (Nehemiah 8:10), and no greater reason to put on that happy face, set loose some happy feet, and even shake a Baptist leg ... or two!  If this hasn't stirred the happy in you, at least remember it's Friday and for many payday!  Consider, Christian friend, your redeemed state and the Redeemer Who made it possible to live in spiritual freedom and experience fullness of Joy.  Go ahead, it's okay -- you have God’s permission and good reason ... put on your happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home