Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Win Today!

As a general rule, I do not watch war movies.  I understand and am so very grateful for the countless men and women devoted to keeping us safe and free!  Truth is, however, the reality of war is not pretty and I don't care to see it.

 

How are you doing in the war?  As a Christian, you do know you’re at war – right?  If you are born of His Spirit (saved), you are part of a spiritual war between good and evil, and no child of God is exempt!  We can often ignore or block-out certain things (or people) with the hopes they will go away quietly, but the ongoing struggle between godly and satanic forces never ceases.  One of the greatest men of faith, the Apostle Paul wrote of his own personal battle: "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." (Romans 7:15).  Neither determination nor human will alone have no long-term success against the reign of selfish desire!  Every day I see that stationary bike in my bedroom, constantly reminding me I should get up fifteen minutes earlier each day and ride!  But because those last three "snoozes" are the best, self wins every time!  Spurgeon refers to the "doom of sin" that threatens the joy God offers to "eat of the Tree of Life, Which is in the midst of the paradise of God" (Revelation 2:7).  There is no victory over self when Christians choose to ignore the battle or even walk away in apathy.  Winning comes only when we acknowledge the struggle and "take up the Shield of Faith, with Which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one." (Ephesians 6:16).  We’re not in this battle alone – Jesus conquered every foe and we are empowered by His Spirit to win!  I’m tired of losing – aren’t you?  "Who will deliver us?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:24-25a).  Through Christ, victory trumps defeat.  Let’s win today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home