Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Prepare the Way

“He will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.” —Luke 1:16–17

 

Some people just have trouble admitting they can use some help, and my Dad is one of those people.  I’m not going to say much more ‘cause … I am his daughter and inherited some of that do-it-myself.  John Piper made this very profound statement: “Christmas is an indictment before it becomes a delight.”  The relief of sharing a burdensome task comes only after we have agreed we need help!  Luke wrote of John [the Baptist] who would come before Jesus, preparing the way by preaching to cause people to see their sin, their need for repentance … their need for a Savior.  John made ready the people for the coming Messiah – “for the Lord a people prepared.”  What an appropriate time to pray, “Search me, O God … know my heart … try me … know my thoughts … lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 119:23-24).  Preparations usually involve intense effort and time; preparing our hearts to love Jesus more is no different!  The harder we strive to adore Him, the more Satan pushes back.  Use these days before Christmas to read and meditate on Scripture, listen and talk to The Father, worship Him, fellowship with other Christians.  May we experience the delight of the intimate Savior.  Let us be people prepared to enjoy and savor the Blessed Messiah this Season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home