Monday, January 25, 2016

His Good Pleasure

Several years ago I was introduced to Beach Butlers – never heard of such a thing.  As I lounged on a Caribbean beach, this nice uniformed gentlemen approached and asked, “Ma’am, may I bring you a cool glass of refreshment?”  When he delivered my cold Diet Coke a short time later, I thought – yeah, I could get used to this!

 

Oswald Chambers wrote, “As workers for God we have to learn to make room for God.”  It’s true, Mr. Bill has spoiled me but he also [at times] enjoys a bit of pampering when he makes it to his recliner.  If you want to know your basic thoughts toward God, listen to yourself pray: are they filled more with asking for things or acknowledging Who He is?  Don’t misunderstand – we should petition God according to His will, but conceding His Greatness is fundamental to how we see Almighty God.  He does not exist for us – rather, we are created for His good pleasure.  In his Galatian letter, Paul described his former life when he persecuted the Church then wrote, “But when He Who had set me apart before I was born, and Who called me by His Grace, was pleased to reveal His Son to me …” (Galatians 1:15-16a).  Paul’s Damascus Road conversion was unexpected but right on time according to the Pleasure of Almighty God.  If we truly adhere to the Sovereignty of God and the works of His Sovereign Grace, we understand all things are in accordance with His perfect plan and purpose.  Why is this so important?  Because this is one of the characteristics of Who God is – not One Who imparts mercy and grace to us at our bidding but instead by His prevailing Wisdom and Power.  This fundamental Truth about God’s Nature will mark the Christian’s attitude in prayer, service, and daily living.  His promise of Romans 8:28 that “… all things work together for the good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose” assures us that His Good Pleasure is all the pleasure we need!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home