Monday, July 11, 2016

Savory Moments

Mr. Bill loves apple pie.  Before he ever takes a bite, he puts the steaming dish his nose and slowly inhales.  If not for the look of sheer delight on his face, it would seem such a silly ritual. Silly ritual or not, he has developed an art to savoring apple pie.

 

Are you guilty of missing savory moments of life?  I know I am!  I can't believe it but today I [actually] savored doing laundry.  As I turned nasty-yucky-stinky t-shirts right-side-out I imagined the fun those little boys had getting those shirts dirty. Then I thought how much I loved those guys and the hands that would reach into the drawer to take out and put on fresh-and-clean shirts.  It was an unsavory task but truly one of life's savory moments.  Now, before you raise your hand to vote me Mom of the Year, let me be clear –I missed more than I savored!  How do we learn to delight in the undelightful, savor the unsavory?  In her book, You Bring the Confetti, Luci Swindoll writes: "Pleasure lies in the heart, not in the happenstance. Our circumstances may be dreadful and riddled with reasons for discouragement or sorrow, but that doesn't mean those moments are utterly devoid of happiness ... Those special savored moments of fun, reflection, happiness, and pleasure give us a tiny taste of what eternity with Christ will one day be like."  God's Word says "We do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen at temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:16-18).  Oh, how much more pleasant our lives are when we slow down, inhale, and savor the beauty of the moments that are ours. 

 

Dear Lord,

I suppose I've missed so many savory moments already, that I dare not look back.  Keep my face and my heart alert to life's precious little moments that cannot be recaptured -- only savored and treasured as they occur.  In Jesus' Name, Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home