Monday, September 12, 2016

What You Don't Know

A couple in our church recently went on a mystery trip.  They packed for a certain number of days and left for parts unknown.  I was reminded of a trip I went on with Mr. Bill.  It was presented to me as an opportunity for some great quiet time; I could stay at his friend’s hunting cabin while Mr. Bill hunted.  Well, the cabin turned out to be an old “fixed-up” school bus sitting in the middle of the woods.  I’ll have to say a kind “no thanks” to mystery trips!

 

Matthew tells of a mother’s request to Jesus, asking that her two sons be favored with seats on His right and left in His kingdom.  Jesus’ response, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?” (Matthew 20:22).  However selfish it may be, what mother doesn’t seek the best for her children!  Nonetheless, knowing the Cross before Him, Jesus answered completely honest.  Even though the sons said, “we are able,” Jesus knew each son’s journey – a mystery to them – which indeed included its own cross and cup.  This is so true of the Christian life. I had carefully planned April 5, 2005: I would drop Mr. Bill off at the hospital entrance for a routine colonoscopy, Dad would stay with him and bring him home – all planned with dinner on the table at 5:00.  I and Mr. Bill “knew not” the cross and cup before us nor the confusion to come.  You see, “it is only by going through the confusion that you will get at what God wants.” (Oswald Chambers).  Ever before us is a choice to swim upstream – fighting God with every stroke – or submitting to see Him as Sovereign King work in us.  Perhaps right now your circumstance is your greatest struggle, remember this: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you: I have called you by name, you are mine … When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you … You are precious in My eyes, and honored, and I love you.” (Isaiah 43:1,2,4).  Our journey through cancer was physically and emotionally difficult but oh the sweet lessons we learned along the way.  That cross and cup actually became a period of joy unspeakable!  Will you trust Him with your circumstance?  Will you trust Him with what you don’t know?  He sure hopes so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home