Thursday, September 1, 2016

Slow-Down

Fall is my favorite time of year!  Yes, I know it's not fall yet but I'm already anticipating the crispness in the air, warm autumn colors, and coffee on the porch. For most of the country, patience with summer heat has grown thin.  I would be remiss to not mention that pigskin sport dear to so many.  Poor pigs!

 

One Bible writer with whom I'd love to sit and chat is James, Jesus’ brother.  Filled with Godly wisdom and precepts, his New Testament epistle is oft compared to the Old Testament book of Proverbs.  Among its many wonderful words from God are these: “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.” (James 4:8).  How can such a clearly simple command remain so elusive to us?  In what would seem a slower season of life, Mr. Bill and I find ourselves as busy as ever; this is true of most people I know.  What exactly does it mean to "draw near" to God, and how is such an effort possible?  In the Greek, to draw near is "to join one thing to another," which is derived from another Greek word meaning "to squeeze or throttle."  The essence of to draw near is to squeeze or throttle anything that distracts from one's attentiveness to or focus on God.  How is this possible amidst hosts of daily responsibilities competing for our time?  Jesus found time with The Father - away from the noise and busyness of the day: “And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, He departed and went out to a desolate place, and there He prayed.” (Mark 1:35).  Mr. Bill has just now at-this-very-moment choked at me - of all people - advising anyone to rise early. The time of day isn't my point; the principle, however, is to have a regular dedicated and focused time with The Father.  This time of year, on my morning drive to the office, I practice [what I call] sunshine slow-down.  A portion of my drive is facing the sun, which makes it difficult to see oncoming cars even the lines on the road – the sun is pretty much all I see.  As I struggled with this a few days ago, it occurred to me what we really need in our lives is a slow-down for The Son - a daily personal time when we are so focused, we see-hear nothing except The Father.  Is it really all that important?  It was important to Jesus - the sinless Son of God.  MWB’s 1998 beginning came about because of a genuine desire to draw near, and oh the blessings that have been mine.  I challenge and encourage you to make time with The Father a daily discipline.  Slow-down for The Son, and experience the blessings of His amazingly awesome Presence! Slow-down!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home